The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) creates and manages alliances with public and private institutions in support of the mission of the National Institutes of Health, the world’s premier medical research agency. The Foundation works with its partners to accelerate biomedical research and strategies against diseases and health concerns in the United States and across the globe.
The GeneConvene Global Collaborative is an initiative to advance the safe and responsible exploration of genetic biocontrol technologies, a set of investigational public health tools with the potential to reduce or eliminate insect-borne diseases that claim hundreds of thousands of lives annually.
This is a contractor opportunity with deliverables to be performed remotely. We expect the contractor will need to devote approximately 20 hours/week. The Web Assistant will work directly with and be accountable to the Director of the GeneConvene Virtual Institute to provide support in developing and maintaining the GeneConvene Virtual Institute’s digital presence.
The GeneConvene Virtual Institute is a new online entity that aspires to be a valuable global knowledge hub and resource in the genetic biocontrol space, where genetic biocontrol is an area of applied genetics that develops genetics-based solutions to the management and control of plants and animals. The GeneConvene Virtual Institute is particularly oriented to public health uses of genetic biocontrol technologies.
A critical activity of the Virtual Institute is the aggregation and organization of content relevant to genetic biocontrol. Newly published content needs to be promptly identified and added to the Virtual Institute’s searchable database. New content is identified almost daily. The Virtual Institute publishes a weekly e-Newsletter that informs subscribers of new activity in the genetic biocontrol space. The Virtual Institute has ongoing efforts to expand and enlarge its database and to develop new elements of its website that draw from its database to educate and serve the interests and needs of its broad base of users.
Responsibilities/Description of the Deliverables:
- Work with Director of the Virtual Institute to keep the Virtual Institute up to date and functional
- Maintain and update content database (in EndNote) of the Virtual Institute.
- Post content to the Virtual Institute website
- Create pages in Word Press as part of ongoing development efforts
- Manage external delivery of content to third parties
- Monitor web analytics and prepare biweekly reports for Director
- Monitor licenses and ensure all content is used in line with correct licensing agreements
- Ensure content is built in line with SEO best practices
- Design pages and content-organization solutions
Knowledge & Skills Requirements
The following qualifications are considered essential, and contractor candidates must provide evidence demonstrating these abilities.
- Ability to maintain and modify websites with help of various tools such as HTML and CSS
- Experience and proficiency with WordPress (≥3years)
- Experience and proficiency with EndNote
- Experience and proficiency with Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator or equivalent graphics tools
- Understanding and experience with Search Engine Optimization best practices
- Highest standard of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience and proficiency with MailChimp (≥2years)
- The ability to self-supervise in order to meet deadlines
The following qualifications are highly desirable and demonstrated abilities will be considered a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of data visualization software (eg. ggplot2, or Tableau, or Flourish etc.)
- University-level Biology (Genetics) background
- Working knowledge and experience with R
The successful contractor candidate will need to timely complete and submit a Form W-9.
The successful contractor candidate will not be required to work on the deliverables from the FNIH’s offices nor will the contractor be precluded from retaining clients other than the FNIH.
How to Apply:
Please send an email to email@example.com with “Web Assistant” in the subject line. Include any materials you believe would be pertinent to your proposal and evidence you are trained to accomplish the deliverables, which might include a cover letter and resume.